Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cooking in Bulk

     As a busy mom, cooking in bulk is one of the ways I save time. It could be anything. I could buy 10 pounds of ground meat, brown all of it with chopped garlic and onions. Let it cool and split it into one or two pound packs and freeze it. That way when I feel like making a dish that requires ground meat, all I have to do is toss a pack in the pot/pan and cook with sauce (like spaghetti). Since the meat is already cooked, it saves me so much time.

     Another way I do is making big batches of pancakes (see below). I figured since I have my griddle out to make pancakes,  I'll make a big batch of them and freeze. I do not mix the chocolate chips into the pancakes as I think it would make them too sweet. I prefer to put 5 pieces of chocolate chips in each pancake. I usually end up making about 50 pancakes, which depending on my kids moods, can last almost two weeks. I'll let them cool, bag them up in a ziplock and the kids can get their own pancakes from the freezer and microwave them for about 30 seconds each. They have pancakes for breakfast during the week and sometimes as snacks. What a way to teach them some independence!

My griddle has space for 5 regular sized pancakes 

with enough room for me to flip them over

cooling them down while waiting for the rest before bagging and freezing

1 comment:

  1. would like to have bite! looks yummy and healthy to eat.
    cuz, why not link this to Yummy Sunday? I'm sure some mommies will learn something from you ;-)

    ReplyDelete